Monday, December 19, 2011

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!

Hello! Let me introduce myself. I am a mom of 2, a wife of 1, Special Educator,  Homebound teacher,  Math tutor, a University Supervisor for student teachers, a writer, and podcast producer. I aspire to be a professional napper because I am TIRED.

As most of you know, I currently have a more educational blog and podcast that I produce with my husband called Night Light Stories. What’s that? You didn’t know? Well feel free to check it out over at http://nightlightstories.net. We write, edit, and record original children’s stories. We post vocabulary, comprehension questions, and family friendly activities over on our compendium blog.

So, why a new blog, Mel? 
Well, I really wanted to practice my writing in a fun, informal, and creative way. I also wanted to share it with others.  So I went through the options of how I could do this. Here is what I came up with:

1. I could keep a journal. A paper one. Like in the olden days. I could be the next Laura Ingalls Wilder. However, I know myself well enough to know that this is how this will go:
Picture it. I am writing, writing, hand cramping, writing, wondering how to spell "preposterous", no red line pops under my hand writing to warn me I spelled it wrong, wondering why I am not just typing it into a Google Doc, writing, hand cramping and then my husband comes in the room. He sees my process, nods and smiles. He can hold it in no longer and says, “You know, I have a couple of ways that would make that easier for you.” Then he rattles off his impressive list of techie sites and clever ways to incorporate recording it. I stare at him, nodding, smiling, and trying to just jot the brilliant thoughts down while they are still in my brain for the remaining 2.2 seconds they will last there. Too late. They're gone. Plus, how do I share a hand written, coffee ring stained, paper journal? Will I get it back? It would take forever to pass around to my friends! Cross this one off the list. No go!

2. My other option is to use Google Docs to practice my creative writing. I will get up early, like an hour before the kids. 5 AM. Great idea! Here's how this will go:
I will brew coffee and burn my mouth with that coffee until 5:15 AM. I will check all my social media sites. Oooh! Two new people are following me on Twitter. I must check them out. Oh! I must block this "follower". That is NOT an appropriate Twitter handle once you say it out loud. I have to give them kudos for spelling it so cleverly so Twitter would not say “NO WAY! YOUR’E GROSS!” . Does Twitter say that? It should. 
That would be a funny pop up. The whale hovering with all the birds holding him up as they all have their tongues sticking out with disgusted looks on their faces. How do these people find me? I’m the host of a children’s podcast. Anyways. Now we are at 5:30. My coffee is gone and my tongue is so burnt that it is numb. Maybe I should have another cup? Oops, forgot to check my work email. BOOM! 5:45. I hear rustling. I hear a sweet little voice call my name. I go in and tell her it is still dark, it is the middle of the night , and to go back to sleep. She buys it...today. On my way out of her room I bump into my sleepy, stumbling son who is trying to find the bathroom. Kiss him on the head and then I remember. I have to finish checking my work email. Wait, my coffee. Which one first?  Crud! I was going to write. Where the heck did all these dishes come from in the sink? As you can see, that didn’t go well. KAPOW! Time’s up!

3. The next idea that pops into my brain is I will do this said writing during the four year old’s “quiet time”. This is an easy one. It will go like this:
I end up writing ideas down for a story for the podcast in between her incessant needs to try to get out of quiet time. Guess how much creative writing I get done?

So here I am. The best option I came up with. Blog. I have fun writing for people. I have fun being creative in what I write. I just needed something to write about. What better subject than something entertaining you know inside and out? That would be my children.
They keep me on my toes every minute of the day. They keep me on the straight and narrow. They make me a better person. They make me crazy. They make me say things I never, ever thought I would have say to another person. “We DO NOT eat baby wipes! I don’t care how delicious they smell!” They keep me honest and keep me humble. “That’s right! Mama has 12 zits! Great counting!”

This blog is about the world from their perspective, in particular our 4 year old’s perpective. The way she views the world around her can be hilarious at times. She thinks outside the box. It may be WAY out of the box and you may have to look in the room adjacent to the box, but there always seems to be a connection to something you have taught her. I plan to investigate her  thoughts in a fun and light way. If you are up for the adventure, I hope your will join me!  
Welcome to "According to Mags..."!

8 comments:

  1. I think this is going to be a great thing! Cannot wait to become an avid and devoted reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be so much fun!!! Can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christie and Patrick. As you know, I have lots of material. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! I will be adding you to the list of blogs I follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super! I can't wait to see you all "around"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with this! I hope it gets your ink flowing. What do you do if Maggie doesn't saying something funny? Oh, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mike! It really is getting my ideas flowing. I am loving it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow I had not read that..Great post,Mel.

    ReplyDelete