Thursday, January 19, 2012

WHERE'S MY RED PEN?


Mags to me: "I keep making 'mis-cakes'! I quit!"


I was teaching her how to draw a basic person when she said this to me. I quickly reminded her that she was learning and that you have to practice to get better, stronger, and more confident. 


When I began this blog a month ago, my goal was to practice my writing skills. In my first post I said, "I have fun writing for people. I have fun being creative in what I write." This is still true. I have found my strength is to recap events. I also have found my weakness is editing. It is my kryptonite. No matter how many times I read a post back to myself, to Chris, or have Mags proofread it (just making sure your'e paying attention) mistakes always slip by me. Should I quit? NEVER! This is a learning experience for me. The only way to get stronger is to keep on writing and learning from my flubs.

How do I learn? Well, I spent some time last night going through all the posts I have written and was embarrassed to find some of the silliest grammatical errors. This morning I am going to take the rest of the time I have with my now tepid coffee to go through and make the corrections. Just like Mags, I have to practice.

After all, you know what they say...practice makes perfect!


2 comments:

  1. Aww, tell Mags that I make miscakes too! A lot of them as a matter of fact! She is so cute and her blog always makes me smile! Oh yeah, so do you Mel!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are always on the same wavelength even when the subjects are different, aren't we? You with your writing and me with my photography... I learned something this morning while thinking. (You felt the Earth quivering, right?? The warp in the whole space-time continuum thingy. ;-) ) Number one) you are never as bad as you think. Number 2) just do it (okay, so Nike beat me to it, but it's true). Number 3) (and this is the important one) develop your own style and don't let anyone tell you that you are *wrong*. If you are capturing a moment and it is faithful image, makes no difference if it is in words or pixels, then you are doing something right. The right people will appreciate it at the right time. That is all that matters in the end.

    Believe me when I say, you do a fine job of capturing the essence of Mags in your writing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete