Monday, January 2, 2012

WHIP IT...WHIP IT GOOD

"Mama, my skates are sad. They miss me. I need to put them on."

Last night Chris and I watched the movie, 'Whip It.' It was a fun movie with some great one liners. Have you heard of it? It's all about Roller Derby. While watching the movie I felt like I was seeing into my future with Mags. In the blink of an eye, I time traveled ahead 16 years. Roller Derby totally fits her personality. Just mix her tough girl attitude, athletic ability, uber competitive nature and you have a recipe for a kick butt Roller Derby girl.

Mags got some Tinker Bell roller blades for Christmas this year. She wasted no time strapping them on. I wasted no time asking my very creative and hilarious friends on Facebook what her Roller Derby name should be. As usual, they didn't let me down. This is what they came up with:

Magger the Dagger
Mags-inator
Bacon Babe
Mag You Sorry
Maggie Mahem
Maggie Mosher
Maggie Mangler
Mad Mags
Melt Your Heart Mags
Cutie (thanks Alex)
Bone Crusher
Princess of Pain
Toe-Tags Mags
Magatron


Now that she has some great names, she'll need a costume:
Check!

Next she'll need some training: 
We'll keep working on this one.


Finally, a little healthy competition:
Check x 10




A fun twist to this post is after the movie was over, Chris brought up the idea of me trying out for the NOVA Roller Derby League. I have already looked into trying out for this in the past. I thought it would be good cross training for my running and good stress relief for my life. I told Chris at the very least we should have a date at a Roller Derby bout in the Spring. 


Am I serious? Will I try out?  
Those questions are enough to give my mom a heart attack. 
I should be getting a "MELISSA ANN" text in 3...2....1...

Now I just need a name. ..

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to Chris and Mad Madre Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see Mags. Ry is the same way. She straps her skates on and does circles around the house. She is dying to go to a bout. I've thought about trying out myself. Just think, we could play against each other. Then in 16 years we could watch the kids battle it out!

    ReplyDelete