Wednesday, January 11, 2012

YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND IN ME

Mags: "What did you do today while I was at school?"
Me: "I had coffee with a friend."
Mags: "Don't be silly, Mama! You don't have friends!"


"Uh, huh! I do too!" That was the best comeback I had at the time. I quickly rattled off some names of people to her and she finally gave in, saying "Oh, right. I was just kiddin'!". Too late, kid, you've got me thinking and that can be dangerous.


This little exchange lingered in my head for a surprisingly long time. I mulled it over while we drove home and I made our lunch. Does she not see me talking with my friends after I pick her up from school? Of course not. She is too busy yanking at my arm screaming, "I really wanna go!". I realized that Mags never really SEES me with my friends. If we do go over to our mutual friends' houses, (AKA a play date) then she is busy playing. She does not see me sitting, laughing, and chatting it up. In her mind I am there to serve her drinks and "come look" at the toys her friend has that she doesn't. 


I realized further that she doesn't see my exchanges with people on Facebook or Twitter. Lots of my friends live in there. Friends from all over the place and from all walks of life. These friends are people that I have grown to laugh with, support, and who support me. To Mags, those sites are places where she knows she can see pictures of our loved ones...and Choo Choo Soul, of course. Eventually they will become more to her, but that is many, many years away. 


When I started this blog, Mags didn't see the texts, emails, and comments that my friends made. She didn't read all the words of encouragement. I did, however. For those comments and for all of you, I am so grateful. So, here's to you my friends! To all of you! The one's I have known my whole entire life, the one's who live in my computer, and  the friends I have "met" over the past few weeks through this blog. To me, you are very real. 




Now I'm a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.
I know you all can come up with a creative topic! 

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Mel - and one that I can totally relate to my own life. Keep on keepin' on, my friend. Oh, and Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an island... discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!Loved what you said and you said it so well, it was like 'butta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Ladies are hilarious!! I am so lucky to have you both in my life! Great discussion, Bex!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a friend in me! This was an awesome post bud!

    ReplyDelete