Wednesday, February 15, 2012

TRIFECTA GETTING TO KNOW YOU

Trifecta kindly asked that I answer these questions to post on their blog so all the Trifectans can get to know one another better. This was the first writing challenge I linked to from my blog and was hooked immediately...and not because I won the first time I entered either. :) Seriously, it is such a talented bunch of  writers in there. I look forward to reading everyone's creations and to the next challenge each week. Thanks, Trifecta for making this such a fun writing community. 

Now for the Q and A part of the post: 
  1. What is your name (real or otherwise)? My real name is Melissa, but my friends call me Mel. 
  2. Describe your writing style in three words. Developing, cautious, emotional.
  3. How long have you been writing online? I've been writing with my husband and posting our children's stories online for 3.5 years. I started According To Mags in January of 2012 (it's just a baby) to practice my writing solo. 
  4. Which, if any, other writing challenges do you participate in? I've participated in The Lightning and the Lightning Bug, Writers on Edge, Yeah Right, and The Mom Pledge Blog Hop. *whispers* Trifecta is my favorite. :)
  5. Describe one way in which you could improve your writing.  Taking the time to draft out my ideas, flesh them out, write a rough draft, edit, and then write the final draft. With two young kids this is a dream. :) 
  6. What is the best writing advice you’ve ever been given? "Write like no one is reading."(Husband, 2009) and "Saying it out loud always helps." (ODNT, 2012)
  7. Who is your favorite author?  I don't like to pick favorites. I enjoy exploring and reading a lot of different authors and genres. When I read, I learn about different writing styles. It adds to my writer toolbox.
  8. How do you make time to write? I wake up at silly hours of the morning and burn my tongue on my coffee. 
  9. Give us one word we should consider using as a prompt. Remember--it must have a third definition. Scintillate or wallop
  10. Direct us to one blog post of yours that we shouldn't miss reading. This was my first post I made on the blog. Since it was my first solo post,  it took me about 45 minutes to finally click "publish". It's called 'Better Late Than Never'.

4 comments:

  1. This was a scintillating look into the mind behind the Mel, and I am walloped by the cool and classy way in which you have presented yourself.

    Seriously though, interesting answers, and great to meet you! (again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Guapo. Very clever use of my words. :P I'm excited to go read about everyone. That was a great idea on their part.

      Delete
  2. "Write like no one is reading." I like it. It sounds like the opposite of my dieting credo. "Eat like everyone is watching." Pretend you're on a first date. No way you'll pig out. Oops, I think my crazy is showing.

    And "Saying it out loud" has carried me when it comes to writing. Not only do I often catch typos that way, but it also helps me to hear it the way someone else would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dieting credo is hilarious. No crazy, it's totally logical...although I never held back eating on a first date. My husband still tells the story of how he watched me eat a Big Mac in about 3.5 bites on one of our first "outings". What? I was hungry.

      I meant to credit you for "saying it out loud" quote. I need to go fix that. Thank you!

      Delete