Thursday, March 1, 2012

A PAGE TURNER, OR LACK THEREOF

Mags: (holding the book from my side bed table) MAMA! I'm sorry to tell you this, but your book has NO pictures in it! That is so sad for you!"


I followed this up with a chat and a snack about how I picture the things I'm reading by using my imagination. She told me "I'm not a fan of books with no pictures." I get that. In more ways than one. Tuck has been reading independently for a while. Mags, not to be outdone, has been working hard to learn sight words. She is picking up fast and can spot some words, but I know from experience that soon it will just click. Then she'll be reading books without pictures and loving it. During our chat she asked me "I don't see you reading this book. Do you like it?" 


She brought up a good point. She doesn't see me read. If I have nothing else to do and I am soooooo bored (wait, I was dreaming for a second). If I am too brain dead by the end of the day to formulate a complete sentence, I usually will pick up a book. My husband jokes with me that I "devour" the books I read. I don't waste time. I only have bedtime to read...or so I thought. 


Our little chat made me think (dangerous, I know). I should read in front of her. More importantly, she should see me read. It's another way for us to spend time. Time where we are together, but enjoying our own things. I wondered if she would buy into the whole "read with me" thing. I tried this little experiment not too long ago and it went like this:


Mags: "How do you do that?"
Me: "What?"
Mags: "Read so quietly?"
Me: "I read in my head. It takes some practice. Why don't you try it?"
Mags: (whispering about the pictures she is looking at) "I can't do it!"
Me: "It just takes some practice. I like how you are whispering. That's a perfect start."
Mags: (continuing to whisper) "Arrrrr! The words won't stay in my brain. They keep falling out of my mouth!"


We ended up snuggling and reading "Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree" together. But, overall, it worked. I got five pages further in the book than I was before. Then she asked me to read my book aloud to her. I told her it was a book for adults and she could read it when she got older if she wanted. However, at this rate of reading, I'll probably just be finishing it up when she is 18. 


Then we can have our own little book club! 


Perfect timing!

2 comments:

  1. "The words keep falling out of my mouth". That's great. My daughter could read in her head before she could do anything else. She has Asperger's syndrome, and I had a devil of a time convincing people that she was READING those Jack and Annie books, not just turning the page. And I knew she was doing it because we would get a new one, it would be a few days before I could start it, and when I finally did, we would come to some new plot element, something that, even in a predictable plot, I didn't know what precisely to expect from, and Caroline would hide under a pillow when we changed chapters. I'd say, "What's wrong?" and she'd answer "Girls can't play in the Olympics." Which, with some interpretation, meant that Annie was about to find out girls can't play in the Olympics. Of course, she works around this, but my daughter was completely angsted out over things that she couldn't have known unless she read them herself in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are reading Jack and Annie too right now. It has been an ongoing thing in our house at night since we found them last spring.
      WOW! That's impressive. Obviously, if she knew what was going to happen, she had some comprehension of the reading. Great job! It's amazing how ways kids learn to do things and not one of them does it the exact same. What is your daughter into now as far as reading?

      Delete