Thursday, March 22, 2012

Trifecta Writing Challenge: The Wrestling Match (abridged version)

This post is in response to the weekly Trifecta Writing Challenge
Write a 33-333 word piece that uses the third definition from the given word.


This week's word is:
clean (adjective)
1: free from dirt or pollution
2: unadulterated, pure
3 a : free from moral corruption or sinister connections of any kind <a candidate with a clean record>


Authors note:
This story is an abridged version from the one my husband and I wrote for our original children's story podcast, Night Light Stories. I have been working on my editing process and thought this was a perfect story to practice this skill. So, I edited the story today with an alternate ending for this challenge. To experience the complete version with the original, "slightly more comical" ending, click here.

The Wrestling Match

“Let’s get ready to rumble!”

The spectators take their seats. They’re all abuzz trading memories of last night’s match. The nightly wrestling competition is always entertaining; a highlight of the evening.

From the end of the hallway, the wily veteran emerges.  A large, hulk of a man, quietly lumbers toward the ring.  His face is full of experience. The second wrestler, the rookie is full of spunk. Giggles of glorious glee erupt from her.  The wrestlers steady themselves and look into each other’s eyes.

“Let’s keep this match clean!” yells one of the spectators.

“DING”

The veteran dives forward, but the rookie is as quick as lightning. Unfazed, the veteran swipes for his opponent.  For a moment fingers fumble with material, but a squirm and a wiggle allow the more agile rookie to find freedom.  Determined, the ox of man rolls forward and wraps his big arms around the rookie’s torso. She twitches and twirls, straining to break free. He grabs her arm and succeeds at sending one hand, fingers spread like a spiderweb, through the sleeve. Encouraged by his small victory the veteran goes for the other arm, but before he can grab it, the rookie decides to try a little trick she’s been working on between matches.  She flops down, letting her body fall limp. The new ‘dead weight’ move has its desired effect of confusing the veteran. She tries to make a run for it but he pounces, pushing her second arm into the sleeve.

The veteran wastes no time and grabs one leg just above the knee and forces it into the footie.  The rookie shakes her leg violently, but it’s hopeless. The second leg is shoved into place.  Reaching down, the veteran desperately grabs the zipper and pulls.  It shoots up like a rocket and victory is his.

The spectators cheer wildly.  Exhausted and panting, the rookie is finally dressed for bed. Admitting defeat, she hugs the veteran tightly and he squeezes her back. 


“Night-night, Daddy.”   


22 comments:

  1. The last words are what puts "the veteran" to sleep with a big smile on his face. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story. I remember the tricky pajama dressing days. Rookie put up a good fight, but the veteran will always win, eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVENTUALLY! Exactly, Janna. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I thought this was going to end so differently... long story. Loved how you handled this, and yes, I remember trying to wrangle Riley into footie jams... So cute! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/03/20/chanteuse-deluxe-a-barlette-long-form/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those nights when you walk out drenched in sweat, exhausted and they are still ready to play are still fresh in my mind. We wrote it out so we wouldn't forget! :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice. Quite a surprise ending ... but really really well crafted to work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was hoping I wouldn't lose the feel of it when I edited it down. :)

      Delete
  5. This. Is. Awesome.
    Realized what was going on about halfway through. And then laughed my head off.
    Great story!
    Going to check out the unabridged version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! This made me smile. Let us know what you think of the original story!

      Delete
    2. Oh. My. God.
      The original ending kinda blows away "clean", doesn't it? And it doesn't quite sound like either of them win either...

      The podcast sounded great too!

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I am so glad you liked it!

      Delete
  6. Someone opened the window to some clean fresh air around here! I was thinking,"here comes another gritty one" and bam you scored with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! So glad it smells better, here! :P Thanks BOOGULOO.

      Delete
  7. My husband and I swear our children were nonviolent protestors in their last lives. They are SO good at the boneless flop. I realized what was going on at the second sleeve and really got into the show. Now I'm going to have to find out who wins in the more comical version! One thing. Since the story is in the present tense "she’d been" should be "she's been" in the sentence where the limp body move is mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is hilarious. I agree about the boneless flop. What the heck do you do with that? Just stand there and stare is what I do. :P

    THANK YOU, MY QUEEN! Great catch. Off to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it! It needs to be in her baby book. VERY creative. Again, just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it. Thanks for giving me a confidence boost to post! This blog counts as her baby book, right? :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for linking up to Trifecta this week. I love this little tale--unexpected and thoroughly enjoyed. Around here, we struggle with socks. Hard to put a sock on a limp noodle of a foot. :-) Thanks for the lighthearted fun. Glad to see you spreading the word about your podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fit so perfectly with clean. :) I edited this down from 804 words...so it was good practice for sure. Thanks for the kind words.

      There are mornings that I often give up on socks and am lucky they walk out with matching shoes. HA! So glad it is hot out lately. Bring on the sandals, Crocs, and flip flops for the kids. They are more than willing to put all those on!

      Delete
  11. Third time I've read it. This how my 7 and 8 -year-old girls say good night.

    I can't avoid the cute adjective. It's also hearty and fun and well delivered.

    I'm going to wrestle some girls tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lance. I admire your writing, so I appreciate the great feedback! :)

      Delete