Sunday, May 27, 2012

BRAIN DRAIN for The Lighting and the Lightning Bug

I am linking up with The Lighting and the Lightning Bug "Flicker of Inspiration". Their prompt caught my attention, plus they are a supportive writing community site. The prompt is this: Write. Write for ten minutes without stopping. Your topic can be anything. The important thing about this prompt is just writing. Get your thoughts down on paper and share them with us. Don't edit. Don't polish. Just write.

So, I started my stopwatch on my iPhone and off I go for 10 minutes.



In their prompt, they also gave a word to help you out if you couldn't think of anything to write. "SPEED". This word fits us this year. I feel like Chris and I have been on fast forward for a while. Just like loads of other hard working people, we do what we can. I work as a University Supervisor part-time while Mags is in her three mornings of preschool. I also manage to work as a Home bound teacher part-time. Since I only have to observe my student teachers 3x every 7 weeks, I have time in between to visit other students if needed. I like the jobs, don't get me wrong, but I sometimes envy the moms who are meeting up at the preschool to go grab coffee or go for a run together.

Tuck is out of school for summer vacation on Tuesday. That means I have that boy all to myself...well, and I have to share him with Mags. I'm really looking forward to spending the days with him. I know there will be fighting and grumpy days (I'm realistic), but he is a cool, little dude and I miss his face when he's in school.  I keep saying, "This summer is going to be SLOW PACED!" and I am hoping to hold true to that.  But just like every other summer before it, I feel it starting to fill up fast. Of course in a good way with friends and family, but still. Then this week a monkey wrench was thrown into our summer. I was not happy about it at all. I'm hoping to find out all the details on Tuesday and then I plan to share what it is all about. Until then, this was a fun little exercise. I just went over 10 minutes, so I am officially finished.  Thanks Lighting!




10 comments:

  1. What a great exercise - and you wrote something very coherent and honest - as opposed to the drivel I would have in such an exercise. Maybe SPEED every other word! I am in education also and summer definitely takes on a different pace. Here is a post I wrote last year in anticipation of my summer vacation and SAHM-hood! Enjoy!
    http://www.momsnewstage.com/2011/07/mothers-promise.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy Keesha how fast it goes? I'm off to read your post. Thanks so much for sharing.

      Delete
  2. This was a fun prompt and really got the writing juices flowing. Loved that you did a timer, too!

    Let's hope the L&LBugs next prompt doesn't mandate all we can write in an hour...whatever will we say? lol

    Wishing you an enjoyable Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! I think I would almost find an hour easier, but not like anyone would want to read what would pour out of my discombobulated head. :)

      Thanks for reading. Have a great summer as well!

      Delete
  3. I'm totally doing this exercise tonight. Thanks for sharing, Mel.

    And I really hope your news goes your way this week. Fingers crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M. I really appreciate all your support the past week. :)

      Delete
  4. good luck Mel, I;m cheering the most and best for you.

    good job with the Lightning Bug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lance. I'm really turning my focus to all the fun we have planned...or trying to anyways. :P

      Delete
  5. Great job! I found this exercise so hard, but really enjoyed reading your entry.
    I'm also looking forward to the summer home with my boys. It's nice to get them all to yourself! :-)
    I hope you get the best news possible on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you used the stopwatch on your iphone! So smart! Hope everything works out for the summer and that things are indeed "slow-paced" :)

    ReplyDelete