Friday, May 4, 2012

ONE POST TO RULE THEM ALL

Chris: "I'm gonna geek out on you for a second." 

Usually when my husband says this it is followed by something about superheroes or some techie gadget he read about. I don't mind listening. It's always interesting and after being together over ten years, I can hold my own in these conversations...and even add to them sometimes. Chris usually closes out the geeked out moment by saying, "Never thought you'd have that conversation in your whole life, didja?" 


Last night, we took the kids bike riding on a nearby trail. While following behind Tuck, the great two-wheel bike rider, I took great pride in the fact that I had my own geek moment. While riding along, I saw a tree that had fallen. To the layman's eye it would be just a tree that had been topped off and lay in a cool position. To me...my mind immediately saw an Ent. A what you ask? Wait...why are you leaving? Come back. I have to show you the picture!



Who is familiar with Lord of the Rings? Tolkien? Peter Jackson? Raise your hands up high so I can see them. There's a few hands. OK, you in the back. The guy with the "My uncle went to Mordor and all I got was this lousy shirt" t-shirt, you know what it is? That's right. It's a tree in the books and movies that is gigantic and possesses human qualities. I snapped this picture and when Chris and Mags caught up to us, I quickly pulled out my camera to show my husband. I swear I heard him fall in love with me even more at that moment. 

But wait, our geeked out night wasn't over. As we rode over a bridge on the trail, Chris spotted something beneath it. Nooooo! It wasn't the Grumpy Old Troll. How ridiculous would that be? He saw footsteps in the mud on the side of the creek flowing under the bridge. We showed the kids and immediately Tuck said, 


"Those look like Bigfoot tracks"




Yes. I took another picture. Who is familiar with the show, 'Finding Bigfoot'? Anyone? You in the back with the t-shirt that says, "I'm A Squatch Watcher", you must know about this elusive creature. If you have never seen 'Finding Bigfoot', it is a group of four people gathering eye-witness accounts and evidence. During every episode, they walk through the woods using different techniques in an attempt to attract a Bigfoot. Their goal is to capture the creature on film, proving it's existence. Our kids love this show. (Ranae, the skeptic of the four, is our family favorite.)

The thing that keeps us coming back to watch it is that it uses the scientific method so clearly in every episode. The educator in me can't resist this. They model it well and our kids have picked up on it. So, when Tuck saw the footprint, he immediately thought Bigfoot. Then he looked around and pointed out all the things (evidence) in the area that the Bigfoot investigators say would make it "squatchy". I was impressed with Tuck's reasoning. A Jr. investigator in the making? Perhaps. 

So, let's sum up this post, shall we? 

1. I posted a picture of an tree that I refer to as an Ent.
2, I posted a picture of a footprint that I refer to as a possible Bigfoot print.
3. I posted a post about a tree and a footprint.


Oh! And to close out this geeked out post, guess where I am going tonight? To bring my husband to see the Avengers movie. Yep...


I bet you never thought you'd read a post like 
this in your whole life, didja?




22 comments:

  1. I just flourished Lil' K.'s light up dragon sword in your general direction--kudos from Geekdom:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tree makes me think of someone doing pushups. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Avengers looks like it is going to be good!

    I love the picture of the Ent. That is the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Guess I'm a geek. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a tree with a kickstand before. Great pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was doing pushups too. With better form than me I might add. Which is kind of depressing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have a single clue about anything you were talking about! I guess that means I haven't been married to a geek for a decade ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We geek out all the time!! In fact, my crew went to see The Avengers last night ON A SCHOOL NIGHT (yeah, we are THAT family!). Love, love, love this. You might appreciate that my 4 year olds' letter J was filled with pics of Jabba, Jar-Jar, and jedis. I'm sure our kids will turn out just fine. BTW, have you all seen the new Battlestar Galactica with Starbuck as a girl?? Your geeky little hearts will plotz! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome pics. Even with having no idea what an "ent" is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, yeah, I posted as my husband from his google account. Ooops! So, I deleted it.
    What I was saying... is that we geek out a lot around here and my kids would have gone nuts over that Bigfoot print! How awesome is 'Ent'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It always amazes me that those Ents were able to speak without the Lorax...

    I saw a crocodile, but I'm sure that like clouds, fallen logs are open to interpretation.

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahah I definitely went "whoa, that tree has arms!" Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! My hubby and I are total geeks, but I will say the hubby is a bigger geek than me. We also went to see The Avengers, for his sake not mine, but I actually ended up enjoying it. So maybe I am the bigger geek?

    PS - I can totally see the Ent. Good catch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, we tend to be geeky here too. I totally saw the Ent in your picture. Highly impressive! I wonder where I can get one of those t-shirts you mentioned.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still don't fully understand what an Ent is, but I will agree it is a cool tree and pic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is absolutely an ent. No doubt about it. And no apologizing for geek tendencies allowed. Of course, I dress up and go to comicon, so you might want to take that with a grain of salt. Ha! We saw Avengers last night. It was GOOD! I love, love, love Joss Whedon. They should just let him do all of the superhero movies from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you GEEK! Love it. OMG that tree!!! Great pix.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm married to a geek, too but apparently I don't listen as well as you do! I thought tree doing push-ups, too. Which is adorable for some reason. I loved your geek adventure though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha! That tree is crazy looking. This was a funny post. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally thought of the Ent from LOTR! I'd be lying if I didn't also suggest for a brief minute the apple throwing trees from Wizard of Oz also popped into mind.
    I think a perfect title for the photo would be Ent in Plank Pose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is TOTALLY an Ent! I've posted about Ents before - but never one with arms. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete