Saturday, May 5, 2012

TRIFEXTRA: Curfew

This post is in response to Trifecta's Trifextra Weekend Challenge. They gave us simple directions this weekend. Tell 3 truths and 1 lie in 33-333 words. This story was the first thing that came to mind. Enjoy!


Curfew

Lips buzzing and head in the clouds, she started the car as she watched him walk away, giving her one last wave before disappearing into his house. Being late for curfew was not a concern at the moment. Floating. 

On a school night her parents insisted she be home by 9:00 p.m. She held up her phone to see the time, but was met by a dark screen. Her phone battery had died earlier in the night. She tossed the useless technology on the seat and glanced over at the dashboard clock. It read 9:23 p.m. Late.

As the car hummed along the long, desolate stretch of highway to her ultimate destination, reality set in. Sinking. 
Exhilaration flipped to distress as her exit to home approached. Four minutes and a stop for gas was all that stood between her and her fate. Nervous. It all depended on how she played her cards. Her deception skills were lacking. If she wanted to see him again, though, she would have to come up with something believable. Think. 

The car rolled cautiously into the driveway. The porch light shone brightly, warning her they were waiting.  Panic. The door opened as her mother stood there, arms crossed, daggers shooting from her eyes. Breathe.

“Mom, sorry I am late. I completely lost track of time, had to stop for gas, the battery died on my phone and my girlfriend needed a ride home.”

Her mother’s glare softened. 


“I’m tired. We’ll talk about it in the morning.”

Parting ways, she breathed a sigh of relief. Then, from the top of the stairs, she heard her mom’s voice reveal,  

“By the way, Bradley called to make sure you got home safe. He said he couldn't reach you on your cell phone after you dropped him off.”

Caught!


24 comments:

  1. Autobiographical? I like that the mom's glare softened just after the lie; makes for an even bigger 'ooops'! Nice story for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9pm? That's sooooo early. Come on, Mom!

    "Useless technology." Love it.

    I was this girl. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 11:00 on a weekend. :)

      Glad you liked that term. I questioned it a few times.

      You? Late for curfew? No way! :P

      Delete
  3. love this take on the prompt! I was this mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you were the smart and sassy mom. I can totally see that, Barbara. :)

      Delete
  4. Filing this away for a few months from now when my oldest daughter can drive on her own....well played Aunt Mel

    also, more great writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. File away and good luck. From the sounds of it, your oldest sounds like a sweet girl. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  5. And it was such a believable lie. Busted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. That darn boy worrying about her.

      Delete
  6. I could relate to this. That's what always happened to me when I tried to lie my way out of something :) (Sneaking in late wasn't an option...Mom is a night owl with insomnia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww man. I'm an insomniac as well. My kids won't stand a chance.

      Delete
  7. Loved it!!! My parents planted spies so I couldn't get away with anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DOH! Doesn't he know not to call and give himself away???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. She should have charged her phone before she left. Silly.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I love this! Mom's first concern is daughter's safety, hence the softening. And then planting the truth flare and letting it glow warningly until morning when they talk again ... genius, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wanted to make her cool, but onto her.

      Delete
  10. I hated that feeling of being busted.. you brought that right back to me! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was a yucky feeling. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Busted! I like how coolly the mum handled this. I love the way you end each paragraph. It gives the whole piece a very nice rhythm. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband really liked the one word endings as well. Thanks so much!

      Delete