Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Trifecta Writing Challenge: Drenched

This post is in response to Trifecta's Weekly Challenge. They ask this week that we use the third definition of the given word in a 33-333 word story. This week's word is:

BLUE (adjective)

1  : of the color blue
2  a : bluish <the blue haze of tobacco smoke>
    b : discolored by or as if by bruising <blue with cold>  
    c : bluish gray <a blue cat>
3  a : low in spirits : melancholy
    b : marked by low spirits : depressing <a blue funk> <things looked blue>


Author's note: I used this story for Lance's 100 Word Song about a month back. I thought it fit this challenge as well, so I tweaked it a little bit. 


DRENCHED

The demon lay dormant deep within. It always possessed the threat of releasing its fury without warning, without hesitation. It’s monition summoned her attention when her screams for help became too close to the surface. Tortuous pain would admonish her for this behavior.

Her beauty was its mask. She was a beguiler. Her closest confidants could almost see past it. She'd fend them off by saying,

"I'm just a little blue." 

They could never know. People passed her on the street, unaware of her imminent demise, her diminishing spirit. Her soul riddled with evil, her body haggard and jaded. Relinquishing control would make it go away. And then, just as it thought it was victorious, he came into her life, drenched in light. 

19 comments:

  1. Love the phrase "drenched in light." Her troubles sound terrible; I hope it's enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending is a solace that her life will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at "riddled with evil".

    I went back and read your 100 word song and the first thing I thought was, "damn another 100 words would kick ass"

    Her "relinguishing contro" was a great way to put it. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the reversal at the end.
    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the hopeful ending...it started out with demons hiding deep within and they are brought to light at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janna. I like your take on my prompt. Thanks for reading.:)

      Delete
  6. I hate that kind of sadness--I hope this person will help her move beyond it. How great to get me this involved in your character in so few words:) AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Drenched in light" is a really nice phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cameron. I really liked it when I wrote it, but glad others like it, too!

      Delete
  8. Great enty, Mel-on. (Yeah, that one's not as good.)

    I decided against reworking my 100 Word Song. Will I EVER learn? Recycling will eventually save the Earth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I liked yours a lot. It was very creative. Sometimes you have to go where the writing mood takes you! :P

      Delete
  9. locking something like that up inside is never a good thing, but it seems she may be able to shoo it away with the hopeful end.
    the words you used elicited the true, shall i say, darkness of what lies inside her. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is what depression feels like, diminished spirit. A good reminder to hang on because there is always another drenched in sunlight moment even if it feels it will never come again.
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Please come back tomorrow for the new prompt.

    ReplyDelete