Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Trifecta Writing Challenge: LOADS TO DO

This post is in response to Trifecta's Weekly Challenge. They asked us to use the third definition of the given word and use it in a 33-333 word story. The word this week was: 


Authors note: For the past three days I have been trying to think of an entry. I started three different stories and none of them fit or were worth finishing. Today, a fellow Trifectan we all know and love from Thin Spiral Notebook, Tara R., posted a picture on Twitter. I opened it and was struck with what to write. I sent her a message to ask if I could use her picture that inspired my story in my post. Thank you, Tara R., for the great picture and for helping me break through my writer's block. 



LOADS TO DO

She pulled her car begrudgingly into a spot in front of  the brightly lit glass store front. Block red letters shouted prices and specials at her. She sat for a moment observing the few people inside reading a book or wandering around aimlessly. Suddenly,  the car’s engine revved a bit, giving a shudder to the steering wheel her hands were gripping. It knocked her out of her trance and she reached down to the keys as she turned them and felt the car settle into silence. This was a new experience for her and the unknown always unnerved her. Why hadn’t she just gone to her parents’ house earlier rather than taking a nap? Time was wasting. She had no other choice.  Her cross-country meet was tomorrow and her uniform was still rank from the week before.

She had shrugged aside her responsibilities to spend  the week with him and now it was catching up with her. Papers were due, exams were approaching and her roommate wasted no time expressing her displeasure of the stale Raisin Bran she had to eat for breakfast that morning since “someone forgot to grocery shop this week”.  The hour and a half in the cold, stale laundromat was her penance.

Rows of tumbling, money hungry machines awaited her. She took a deep breath, grabbed the plastic bag of quarters, the pungent bag of laundry, a bottle of generic detergent, and her ‘Weather and Climate’ textbook. That final exam was in three days and it hung over her like a storm cloud. She walked in, absorbing the noise of the washers and dryers in different cycles. She walked sternly about halfway down the first row when a familiar voice caught her attention.

“Well, well, well, look who it is. Hey, Beautiful.”

A smile spread across her face as she slid her book under the bag. After all, she’d have two whole days to study this weekend.


13 comments:

  1. I'm glad my photo was so inspirational. I loved this piece, but hope my own college kid isn't as easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, again! My husband agreed on the cool factor of your photo. Great eye, Tara!

      Delete
  2. All college kids get easily distracted or maybe just my two! The first time my son had to do laundry last fall, four+ loads, a nice girl happened to right there to help. I said but Matt, "you know how to do laundry". He said, "So?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious, Gina. He knows what he's doin'

      Delete
  3. That made me smile. Sure, maybe the laundry is more important, but that time in life when all your relationships are so new is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute story! It wouldn't take much to distract me from my laundry, that's for sure. Given the choice between exploring a relationship and reading a Weather and Climate book, I think I'd do what she did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! When it got down to it....the Weather and Climate book would have been the more interesting choice. :)

      Delete
  5. She's an idiot, Mel. An idiot! Go to that party with your roommates, don't be afraid to take that out-of-town position, travel to study abroad with your friends, Michele!! (cough, sputter) I mean, Girl in Story. Don't let him hold you back!

    (No. I am not talking about my husband. Just some other stupid fool. Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with ya, girlfriend. I wish I had...er...this girl had stuck her nose in that book and ignored that jackbutt.

      Ahem, but, this road led me to my husband...Soooo...not too shabby! :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for linking up with Trifecta this week. I love that you were inspired by Tara. I think she inspires a lot of us. This is a great little story, and I'm sure many of us can relate to it. Girl In The Story, I personally think you should not date too seriously in college. Have fun. You have the rest of your life to be serious. And you may well find yourself in your early thirties wishing like heck you could bail on your responsibilities so you can go act like a 20 year old again. Cough cough.

    Cough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Felt the car settle into silence. That detail is what makes for great description. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that it's the weather exam hovering like a storm cloud! And I absolutely love the way she so willingly shirks studies and everything else for her guy. Sounds like the roomie better figure out more ways to prep the bran.

    ReplyDelete