Saturday, June 2, 2012

TRIFEXTRA: Squirrel

This post is in response to Trifecta's Trifextra Weekend Challenge. First off, one of the creator's of Trifecta is named Lisa. It just happens to be her birthday weekend. So, Happy Birthday, Lisa! I hope your weekend is full of cake and presents. Second, I wanted to tell you about the prompt. Trifecta asked the following of us:

This weekend's prompt is a return to the 33-word formula. One of the earliest Trifextra challenges asked you to complete a story of which the opening five words had been given. And that's exactly what we want you to do again this weekend.

Complete the following story in 33 words:

'It wasn't the first time.'




SQUIRREL

It wasn’t the first time he’d tried and failed. He watched in anticipation, filled with angst, hoping to gain the knowledge to beat the others to it. Once more perched at the ready, he assaulted the freshly filled bird feeder. Success.



28 comments:

  1. Dive bombing the feeder. Persistence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this. In the mind of a bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOW we know what those little jerks are thinking! Cute and well delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atta, Squirrel! This made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Practice makes us all perfect. Good story here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what we can learn from squirrels... "never give up", "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again", "if you aren't given food, steal it"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Squirrels have lots of mixed messages. :P

      Delete
  7. The bane of my father's existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad mentions them quite a bit as well.

      Delete
  8. I've heard of so many squirrel-proof birdfeeder fails. Great 'success' this is! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Sandra. My dad has had a few, but alas, they got in.

      Delete
  9. Squirrels define persistent--hopefully the crackhead dog will keep them out of my tomatoes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can picture a squirrel earning his street cred by successfully assaulting the bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those little buggers never give up, and I will never give up huntin' them down with my trusty 22 when they make their way into my attic in the winter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. my parents are always screaming out the window at the squirrels about that XD it's like a mini-war, mom & dad vs. the squirrels. i have to say though, those rodents can get pretty clever when it gets to be dinner time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Renada. When they are all circled around a birdfeeder together, I picture them chatting, plotting, planning. :)

      Delete
  13. :-) This reminded me of the squirrel in our backyard. I do not know if he had tried enough to reach the hanging birdfeeder though. :-)
    Yours is an admirable squirrel.

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clever write - it is amazing how different our takes on the prompt are.

    Anna :o] at http://puzzelicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha! As soon as I read the word "perched," I was kind of hoping a bird would be involved. Great take on the prompt. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete