Wednesday, June 20, 2012

WHO WANTS SOME CRAB?

Do you know those dreams you wake up from and are so relieved that it wasn't real? I can remember having those as a child and even though I was awake, I was still terrified that whatever or whoever I was dreaming about was somehow around me. It would take me a moment or two of really waking myself up to realize I was safe. 

Mags had one of those dreams last night. At 4AM she ended up by our bed shaking and refusing to go back into her room. Once Chris and I talked to her about it, she calmed down. As I carried her back to her bed and laid her back down, this was the conversation we had:

Mags: "I'm not going in there, Mama. There's a giant crab. He's trying to pinch me."
Me: "It was just a dream, Mags. See? Look in your room, there's no giant crab."
Mags: "Of course you can't see him. That's because he's invisible."
Me: "I will carry you in so you don't have to walk across your floor, okay?"
Mags: "Okay. Just be careful he doesn't pinch your butt."
Me: "I'll be careful. See? We are at your bed and no crab. Nothing pinched either of us. All that's in your room is the big mess you guys made."
Mags: *giggling* "Tuck made most of it."
Me: "Alright, let's get you tucked in and put all your stuffed friends around you. That will keep any more bad dreams about stinky crabs away."
Mags: "And silkies, too. Can you lay with me until I fall asleep, Mama?"
Me: "Yes. Let me just climb in over here...."
Mags: "NO! Mama! You sleep on the outside of the bed. That way if the crab comes back he'll pinch you first!"
Me: "Good plan. Night, Mags."
Mags: "Night, Mama. Night, invisible crabby."

All I knew was if anything pinched my butt, it was getting boiled. 

5 comments:

  1. Kudos - You've done a wonderful job of honing Mags' security instincts!
    And she's very polite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Guap. It's not easy at 4am and sometimes she gets a grumpy, half awake woman who had just got back to sleep.

      And thanks for the compliment. We work very hard on their manners. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha- my daughter did something similar last week during a dream but replace the teddy bear with a crab! Come link this up on my Saturday laughs if you like:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! So cute. I remember surrounding myself with stuffed animals when I was little- at my head, on my sides and at my feet- in case a monster tried to grab me. He'd grab a stuffed animal before me. I totally sold my stuffed animals out.

    BTW, my husband's name is Chris, too!

    (Thanks for linking this up to #findingthefunny a couple of weeks ago! Sorry I am such a loser and just now reading it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete