Sunday, August 12, 2012

JUST A MINUTE MEANS MORE THAN JUST A MINUTE

Mags: "Mama! Can you get me some juice?"
Me: *hands covered in chicken goo from cooking*  "Give me just a minute, Mags, I need to wash my hands."
Mags: "Oh man! 'Just a minutes' take a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time."

I know, I know. I used to hate hearing the "just a minute" line when I was a kid, too. I tell myself I can't always be at their disposal every waking second of the day. There are times when I'm in the middle of something, like cooking, cleaning, folding laundry or using the bathroom. I actually laughed when I wrote that last one. But, it's true. 

That's how I feel I've been with my blog this summer. "Just a minute, Blog, just a minute!". To recap, there was the surgery, power outage, recovery, trip to my family's house for two weeks,Curious George Camp, the conference in NYC and now we have friends staying with us for the weekend. It's been a fun summer indeed. However, I also have to finish up a few tutoring sessions, put the final hours in on a curriculum project, edit a new story Chris and I wrote for our podcast, and help the publisher with the final touches for our e-book that will be finished soon! 

We also have a give away on our other blog, Night Light Stories, for an antimicrobial baby blanket (it actually repels germs). We have 20 to give away. They'd make a terrific baby shower gift. You can enter by clicking here. It ends this Tuesday at midnight. Winners will be announced on Wednesday. Come on over!

The school year starts for Chris on Wednesday, so our household will have to start to get into "back to school" mode. We'll have practice runs in the morning so that we can make it to the bus on time. It's like NFL training camp, just a little more intense. I could make a linebacker cry. No matter, my kids are up at the butt crack of dawn every.single.morning. They don't have a sleep past 6:15AM button. 

I won't lie. I envy my friends that have kids that will sleep until 7, 8, or even (gasp) 9AM in the summer! But, the trade off is during the school year, this early rise time makes it a little bit easier for me to get them ready for the day. I'm actually looking forward to some consistency in our schedule and on my blog. But for now, we'll enjoy the last few days of summer vacation and my blog will have to wait....

Just ooooooooone more minute. 

In the meantime, I'd love to hear what you've been up to this summer. 
Do you have any favorite adventures to share?

10 comments:

  1. This cracks me up, I'm soooo guilty of the "just a minute" thing with my boys too. Now my 3 yr old says "Just a minute mommy? Are you SURE?" lol. It's hard trying to juggle everything that we have to do every day, so I completely feel your pain. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Mia! I agree. There's just not enough hours in the day!

      Delete
  2. Poor mags. Poor blog. Poor mom! One more minute always makes us moms look like liars. Time is not on our side.
    It sounds like you've had a great (but busy) summer. I spent my summer in school which was great too in a different way. Enjoy your last few minutes of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Marian....time can be an enemy.

      Ooh! What schooling were you doing?

      Delete
  3. I think the "just a minute" thing is impossible to avoid, because like you say there is always SOMETHING that needs to get done. Not only that, but once you're done with the thing that you needed a minute for, something else always comes up, and then you need another minute and so on. Actually, sometimes I feel like the entire day is just a long never-ending series of "just a minute"s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the curse of "just a minute" from my own childhood.
    Now, I'm old (and tall) enough to get my own cookie from the jar, thankyouverymuch!

    Have a great rest of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go on with your bad self,Guap!!! And can you get me a cookie while your up there?

      Delete
  5. I went out of town and stayed with a crazy lunatic I'd never met before. Seriously, I slept with one eye open and one hand on my gun all night. Ever done anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds TERRIFYING! I'm sure her hygiene was horrendous, too. You poor girl! I'm so glad you're safe!

      Delete