Tuesday, October 30, 2012

GOING TO THE CHAPEL

Mags: "Didn't she look like a princess, Mama?"
Me: "She did, Mags. She was stunning." 
Mags: "I hope she remembered to go potty before she put on her dress. Remember when I peed on my dress that one time, Mama?"
Me: "Oh, I remember. Dresses and the potty can be tricky. I bet her Mama reminded her to go potty. Don't worry.
Mags: "Thank goodness for Mamas." 
Me: *grin*  

I once wrote a post called I Fought the Stroller...And The Stroller Won. It was about an experience I shared in Disney with our then two-year-old Tuck, newborn Mags, and 21 year-old-cousin, Christie. She came to Florida to help me while Chris attended a conference there. It turned out that she and I got more than we bargained for. At the end of that post I joked that when she got married I would buy her a stroller as a wedding present. Fast forward four years.

A few weeks ago, this intelligent, successful, gorgeous woman got married! Mags and Tuck were both in the wedding as a flower girl and ring bearer. For months our kids counted down to the wedding. They told cashiers, teachers, strangers on the street, and really....anyone who would listen, that they were going to be in Christie's wedding. And then, the day came. I thought both the kids would explode. Mags and I got to spend the morning with the bride, her mom and all the bridesmaids. 

I happy cried most of that morning. I couldn't help it. I have watched Christie grow into this amazing woman for thirteen years. Chris and I could not be prouder of who she has become. And then, as Mags looked up at Christie, and people were snapping pictures at the sight, I thought:


"I'm so glad Mags has such a wonderful woman 
to look up to in this world."




And, in time, I can't wait to be able to give her 
that stroller I joked about.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! You have no idea how meaningful it was to have the kids in the wedding! They made the day so perfect! Luckily I have some pretty great role models to look up to when I have kids! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've set it before and I'll say it again...that was the BEST wedding we've ever been to! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautifully said Melissa- brought tears to my eyes. The wedding meant so much more to me having all the kids involved.The morning was awesome having you and Mags with me as we got ready with make up and hair. As I was looking at Mags, it reminded me of when Christie was so little and how time does fly! I know you and Chris take time to enjoy every moment as they grow into the wonderful kids that they are.

    ReplyDelete