Thursday, December 27, 2012

Take a Breath

Tuck: "Mama, whatcha doin'?"
Me: "I'm cleaning up and taking down some Christmas decorations."
Tuck: "Oh. Is that so you can breathe again?"
Me: "Pretty much. Yep."

Tuck and I had a conversation prior to the one above. I explained to him that although I liked the Christmas-y feel in the house, the clutter of the decorations made me feel squished, like I couldn't breathe. He referred back in his elephant-like memory to a time when the seat belt in his booster was too tight and he felt like he couldn't take in a deep breath.  

I appreciated that he understood where I was coming from. And he appreciated it when I told him we planned to leave the tree up for a few more days. I mean, really, who doesn't find a beautifully lit Christmas tree peaceful? Especially when you have someone to share it with. So, tonight, and for a few more nights in our house...all is calm, all is bright.


10 comments:

  1. Yours is the second post I've read about taking down decorations already. I totally agree! I would have yesterday, but I didn't have time. I don't operate well when my house is cluttered, so I just want to get it all put away. With the boys home, I think it will have to be a several day project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Kathy. Our tree is still up, but I've been taking off the ornaments here and there. We should have it done by January 1st. :P

      Delete
  2. You are growing quite the young man there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Guap. He really helps guide us in the right direction. :)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. My house is a wreck but I won't be taking the decorations down until after the 1st. But, actually, it's all the presents and things we are now getting rid of piled everyone that are driving me crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE PILES!!! I hear ya, woman. I keep trying to put things in their place, but they just get pulled out again into the middle of the living room. And the Legos, Michele. DEAR GOD, SO MANY LEGOS!!!

      Delete
  4. isn't that funny? I feel MORE ALIVE when the house is loaded with decorations. Not messy...mind you. I have put everything AWAY already from Christmas. I have boxed the wrapping paper, emptied the boxes etc and the new toys, have NEW HOMES.

    I DO NOT like MESSES..at all. But I do love the decorations. Next week, we'll take the tree down, we'll pack away the red/green/santa stuff and all my blue, silver, SNOWMAN stuff will come out until Easter.

    my house dressed up for the seasons makes me happy. (But no messes!! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the decorations are up, I'm happy, but the mess, like you said is what gets me. And I feel like taking them down sometimes makes a bigger mess. With all the boxes of toys. Now, Legos are everywhere. :)

      Delete
  5. p.s your son is awesome..and bright, caring...he listens. That is such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! He is a total gift. We learn a lot from him. :)

      Delete