Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's a Balancing Act

This post is in response to FOUR different link ups. I love when their worlds collide and they all have a similar type theme running through them so that I can mash them all together into a compact 100 word post. The first link up is my tried and true, Trifecta, using the third definition for the word 'mouth'. The second is the classy, Velvet Verbosity, using the word 'crisis'. The third is my buddy, Lance, who gives a weekly song prompt. The fourth and final is one of my new favorites, the Speakeasy over at YeahWrite. They ask that we begin our prompt with their provided sentence and the given picture. 

I feel like the balancing act at the circus. Everyone is staring at me wondering if I can spin just ONE more plate on top of those sticks. Let's see how I do...

                            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


Credit: The Speakeasy
It's a Balancing Act 

“Who could that be at this hour?” she thought as she jammed the thumbtack that was puncturing the torn corner of a drink napkin into the cork board. She smirked at the smudged numbers written on it. A fresh start.

Another knock. She turned, slightly annoyed, and snatched up the half empty water bottle on the counter as she breezed by. The mouth of it offered a refreshing rinse.

The familiar, unwanted silhouette cast itself upon the door curtain. The desperate form swayed. She ducked back into the kitchen not wanting to be sucked back into his abyss.

Crisis averted.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *






37 comments:

  1. I love my peephole on my front door. The only problem is no one around here knocks. At any given moment I have children of all ages, in and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that would get to me eventually. :) I need a knock so I have a chance to hide. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. The desperate form swayed. Flat out my favourite line. So much in it.

    And only 100 words?! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, and the brevity enhanced the vignette. I too liked the 'swaying desperate form'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice glimpse into two diverging worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're a ROCK STAR Mel!
    all four of those prompts, neatly DONE.

    Plus I love that she's getting a new start, that more than being sucked back in. Some people are just toxic to your life, like that water, sometimes we need a rinse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Kir!! I love when you come for tea. :)

      And, yes. I was so happy she hid! No reason to fall deeper down, especially when she's on a high.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful job combining all those prompts! Engaging story - I can totally relate to your character. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Yes. I can, too. I'm glad you made a connection to the story.

      Delete
  8. Four prompts in 100 words? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice. and like how you combined 3 prompts into one! I"ll have to remember that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the prompts together make it fun to create something!

      Delete
  10. Well done. I've been on both sides of that door, one time or another. Exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hide! That second to last paragraph made me want to duck out of sight too. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good move - too easy to get sucked by in & miss the new start. good description.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Short and sweet, I loved the "sucked back into his abyss" part.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fresh start meshing with the barely-averted return of an old life (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great. She resisted the abyss. How many of us do this?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting contrast between her feelings of anticipation and dread -- cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What talent you have to manage creating such an interesting piece the size of a drabble that cram in four prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. always good to avert crises . . . do NOT open the door! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow-four prompts together!Fabulous piece in 100 words-great title too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nicely blended prompts Mags (typos just won't do... hehehhe).

    ReplyDelete
  22. A phone number on a cocktail napkin... I like how deceptively quiet that details reads at first.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And this 100 is also on DudeWrite, so add another!
    I loved the piece. Very concise.
    WG

    ReplyDelete
  24. You could technically add a fifth place for this post: Dude Write!

    Really well done, and an incredibly good use of 100 words :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun read that was - is it 300 words if I read it thrice?

    ReplyDelete