Thursday, January 17, 2013

One of Those Days

Mags: "Mama, you know what you should do when you are driving to work today? Take 10 deep breaths and then blow 'em out real slow like this (insert demonstration of blowing (spitting) out deep breaths). Okay? So just do that. Then you'll feel better."

It was a hectic morning because we woke up later than usual. I blame it on the rain and the 12:50AM alarm that Mags had obviously set during her quiet time that afternoon. When she set it for this hour, she also cranked up the volume to full blast. That way, when it went off shortly before 1:00AM, I would not be confused in any way, shape, or form which direction to run to make the horrible noise stop. The kids stirred, as did BOTH the Furbies wrapped in their blankets on the floor. I'll be honest, I was more worried about getting the Furbies settled back down than the kids (the husband's extra solid sleep gene allowed him to sleep through all of this).  When I assured myself that all the buttons on the clock were in the "off" position,  I went back to bed with my heart pounding and my mind racing.

Crap. I was awake. 

This never bodes well for me. I fall asleep just fine, but once I'm up...dun dun dun. After much tossing, turning and writing a short story in my head, I finally drifted back into sleep.  And that's when I woke up to a tiny panic rising up inside me. I knew we were running late before my iPhone even told me.

So, of course, when you HAVE to get out in a short amount of time, the kids sense it and drag their feet. Tuck was eating at a snail's pace and Mags was challenging me on every wardrobe choice I made for her...including her hair bow.  My showering window was closing fast.  I'm not even sure what they were wearing when we finally got out the door.  There was silence in the car...and not a comfortable silence. 

When I walked Mags into school, she had the above quoted strategy for me. Everyone made it to where they needed to be on time. I even had five minutes to spare in getting to my first leg of "work". But I felt like I had failed at my real job this morning. But without failure...there's no room to learn and grow. Right? 

SOMEONE SAY, "RIGHT!"

Overall, I took a lot of deep breaths today. More than 10x10, in fact. And I'll try again tomorrow. This time, though, I'll set my OWN alarm clock...for a decent hour. 




4 comments:

  1. That is one smart cookie you have there! Or maybe just an old soul? Love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Furbies. Those things are impossible to get back to sleep. Hope you have a better day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mags, Mags, Mags.

    We managed to avoid the Furby revolution but did have a few toys over the years that would go off suddenly during the night. It was always curious how they went missing (for good) once the morning rolled around. And (confession) I usually cursed whoever gave them to my children for depriving me of my precious, precious sleep.

    Here's hoping you're back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no Furbies...
    lots of cars, chuggers, Harry Potter stuff, no furbies. ;)

    and as far as waking up in the middle of the night, it happens all the time for me..(after 40, Jesus I never fing sleep anymore..and I miss my naps!!!)

    and when I wake up at 1 and I don't go back to sleep until 3 only to get up at 4:30....UGH. I am just happy that I DVR the shit out of network tv these days.

    xo

    ReplyDelete