Thursday, January 17, 2013

Run, Run as Fast as You Can

Mags: "Mama, what do you do when I'm at school?"

Well, Mags, I'm so glad you asked. It just so happens that I run around like a chicken with my head cut off. And that's why this question got me thinking. What do I do while she's at school? It's 3 hours from drop off to pick-up and the time FLIES! Yet, on days when we both have off of work, school and errands, the time...well...it can sometimes drag. 

So, I decided to keep track of what I do for a few days. Here are my findings for Preschool Time vs. Non-Preschool Time:  



      Preschool Time
  • Get up
  • Feed her breakfast
  • Brush teeth
  • Get dressed
  • Get in car
  • Drop off preschooler 
  • Get in car
  • Notice her show-and-tell was left on her seat
  • Run back into school to give her the forgotten item
  • Get in car
  • Pick up prescription at drug store
  • Get in car
  • Drive to grocery store
  • Complete Supermarket Sweep type shopping
  • Choose the line that always needs three price checks
  • Put groceries in trunk
  • Get in car
  • Check the clock
  • Realize it's to pick-up the preschooler
  • Wonder how the time went so fast
             It's 11:30 AM



      Non-Preschool Time
  • Get up
  • Feed her breakfast
  • Brush teeth
  • Get dressed
  • Switch laundry from washer to dryer
  • Put in another load
  • Fold load from dryer
  • Clear off breakfast dishes from table
  • Wipe down table
  • Vacuum under table
  • Empty dishwasher
  • Fill dishwasher
  • Play Barbies
  • Play 16 rounds of CandyLand
  • Paint a box like a rocket ship
  • Give painted child a bath
  • Make a couch fort 
  • Answer 6 emails
  • Clean out the refrigerator
  • Wonder what time it is
             It's 9:15 AM


Does anybody else's time work like this? 



13 comments:

  1. Perfect summation. Where does the flipping time go?

    WHERE, MEL? WHERE?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better time goes much faster when they're older. I Got to play Candyland with Carly last night. Sometimes I miss that so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Why does time move soooo sloooowly when they are home, but when you have precious time to yourself it flies by? Is this some cruel joke on moms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can barely manage time for myself, let alone myself and a pre-schooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! IF you ever need to test that, let me know. :) I'll zip line her your way.

      Delete
  5. Totally hear you. Time can be like calories in that regard!

    Thanks for linking this up with the TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very true!It seems like as soon as I drop my kids off at school, it's time to get ready to get them again. Oh and I hate playing Candy Land. lol (talu)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tell them that I take a nap..LOL. Nah, I tell them I am going to work and they like that answer. For now. ;)

    ReplyDelete