Tuesday, January 1, 2013

You've Got to Have Goals

Mags: "Mama, my pants won't button."
Me: "That's because you grew. And what did I tell you about growing?"
Mags: (giggling) "Don't do it. You're silly, Mama!"
Me: "I'm serious. NO GROWING! (insert pretend serious face)
Mags: "But if I don't grow, I'll never be able to wear the makeup in your drawer!"

This morning my husband walked into the bedroom and told me about something he read in a post by Chris Brogan

Choose three words for 2013 that will help define your goals. 

"Only three?" was my immediate reaction. And then I began to think (always dangerous). My husband shared his three as I fumbled around my brain to find the perfect words to encompass all I hoped to accomplish this year. Then, it came to me. It's something that I have been trying to practice a lot more of lately. Keep it simple. And so I did. 

Mel's three words for 2013:

Grow - I hope to grow this year as a wife, a mother, a friend, a writer, and an educator. I need to use all the things I struggled with in these areas in 2012 to remind myself how to move forward, how to learn from others and how to make these things in my life stronger and more successful.

Accept - I need to accept who I am as a person. I am my own worst critic and constantly am beating myself up. As Taylor Swift says, "It's exhausting." So, here I stand with the future before me. I won some battles in 2012 that I should be proud of and I'm stronger for defeating them. I need to give myself a break and be kinder...to me.

Laugh - Too often my head is down as I plow through the day, the week, the assignment, or the task at hand. I stay quiet, keep it all in (mostly) and when I'm done, I move on to the next thing. I need to look up more during these times and see what's really going on around me...and laugh. 

What are your three words for 2013? 
You can share them in the comments, on Chris Brogan's blog
or write your own post about them! 

Happy New Year!



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done, Mel. Now you've got me thinking...three words...I'm going to have to work on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, ATM family!

    Write something noteworthy?
    Make some money?
    Let go more?
    Eat less cheese?

    So many possibilities ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm...

    Forgive
    Enjoy
    Express

    These are what came to me immediately. Now excuse me while I go in a corner to analyze myself. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job, Mel. I'll let you know what I come up with for my three words. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete