Friday, April 12, 2013

PREPARATION ISN'T ALWAYS A GOOD THING

Me: "So, tomorrow morning we'll all walk Tuck to the bus stop and he'll get on the bus."
Mags: "Den what?"
Me: "Then, we'll walk home with Daddy."
Mags: "I no yike it. No bus for my Tuck."
Me: "I know, but you'll have me! ALL DAY MAMA AND MAGS DAY!"
Mags:  (smiles, ponders, rejects) "No, nank you."

The day Tuck got on the bus for the first time to go to Kindergarten was the most anticipated moment of his whole life, the scariest moment of mine and the most shocking moment of Mags'. Poor Mags. Her Mama and Daddy thought for sure they'd prepared her for the inevitable. 

Her best friend in the whole wide world was going to full day Kindergarten. He would be getting on the big yellow bus and driving away from her for the WHOLE. ENTIRE. DAY. 

Chris and I prepared a then two (and a half)-year-old Mags as best we could by giving her reminders about what was going to happen on Tuck's first day of school. We went over how we'd get up and eat breakfast together. Then we'd get dressed and brush teeth. After that we'd take some pictures as we made our way out the door. We'd walk Tuck down the street to the bus stop and wait with him. We'd watch for the bus together. We'd wave to Tuck and blow him kisses as he got on the bus. Finally we'd walk home. We even went on a dry run of this whole process the day before the real thing. 

And then the day came. Tuck was a wee bit excited....


Mags was a wee bit apprehensive....


When the bus pulled up, Chris and I were so proud of how we had prepared the kids. We had covered it all. We watched, we waved, we blew kisses and we snapped pictures. But then, all our preparation flew out the window when the bus doors closed and pulled away. That was about the time Mags looked up at Chris panicked asking, 

"Where bus going? Where my Tuck?" 


That's when our mistake smacked us in the face. We had, in fact, told her he'd get on the bus...but we never mentioned how the bus was going to pull away with him ON IT. She thought he'd get on, then get off and walk home with us. Silly, Parents! 

It was a long first day for little Mags. When he got off the bus after eight LONG hours of being at school, I knew who had first dibs. There was NO way she was letting anyone near him. 


But today (it technically is TODAY because it's after midnight) that little person will be going to her own Kindergarten registration. She is so excited. And she's already started to prepare for next year. Tonight at dinner, she asked Tuck if he would sit next to her on her first day on the bus. He, of course, said yes. 

Chris and I just smiled at each other because we know from experience...you can never be TOO prepared! Here we go, Mags. A great start that will lead you on a new adventure! (Someone grab me a tissue, please!)

16 comments:

  1. Okay I'm officially now crying. I remember the first day Taylor started school. She was so insistent on riding that bus. It's hard to believe it that in August a few months from now, She will be having her last - first day of school. Then after that she's leading me to go to college.

    Okay going to go hide in the bathroom now. My coworkers are looking at me like I'm a blubbering crazy lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. You have a baby going to college. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Aww I have 3 boys and somehow I managed to have them far enough apart that just when they were growing accustomed to having a playmate it was time for the older to start school. MY youngest practically ran to the bus for head start.. talk about feeling like a third wheel. He was thrilled to be going to school like his 2 older brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is like Mags. She'll be running and not looking back. :) I think that's a good thing when they do that, right?

      A mom of three boys...how fun!! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Mags!
    (And congrats Mom on getting at least partially quiet days. I hope it's not to much of an adjustment for you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm heading back full-time next year, so I'll be busy, busy! :) But yay for Mags!!

      Delete
  4. That picture of Mags and Tuck together in the chair is SO sweet. I hope and pray that when I have my second offspring that they will be sweet to eachother like this! Way to go Mama!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, no matter how much you prepare for important times you always, always forget one tiny thing that is so important. Good Luck to you Mags on your first day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their sweetness is so.... well, sweet. My two are finally good friends. Their four year age difference was trying at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad they are friends. Nothing better than having a buddy like that. :P

      Delete
  7. This made me tear up a little. I don't even want to think about Kindergarten! My baby starts pre-school this September. When I dropped off all the paperwork to the office and walked back to my car I literally just sat there in the parking lot. Then of course I cried. I can't even imagine the first day.
    It is so sweet how much your little ones love each other. Good luck to Mags on her new adventure this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I hear you. I cried in my car today as well. :) Hang in there!

      Delete
  8. They are the sweetest pair. Tuck will take good care of her. It doesn't seem possible, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's too much! I can't imagine that day for us! I'm so glad she is excited though!!

    ReplyDelete