Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Big Kid Getaway

My Twitter feed: 

"LOVED our tour guide this weekend. Knowledgeable, humorous and sassy. Love my ODNT! "

Chris and I have never been to New Orleans. Our first, and, by far most beloved principal, Preston, always told us how we needed to go visit his home city of "Nawlins." But...you know how it goes when you're paying off debt and being responsible adults. 

We were dating, engaged and then saving for a house. The next ten years would lead to the birth of our children, keeping up with a house and me staying home with the kids while working multiple part-time jobs. We had little to no time to sit on the couch and watch a show, never mind go away for a weekend...alone. 

This year, when all four of us started back to work and school full-time,  Chris and I decided we'd choose a weekend to get away alone...sans kids. This summer, after talking with my writing partner and friend, Michele, she had a trip recommendation for us. Needless to say, we listened to her (because you don't want to make her angry) and decided to book a flight to a city we'd never experienced. One that also would allow us to spend time with the ODNT family. (Ketchup costumes and all.)

We had a blast. Between Preston sending an email chock full of some fantastic, must-see spots of the city and Michele being the tour guide extraordinaire,  we were set. We learned about haunted history, proper sayings in NOLA (GO cup, not TO-GO cup), rode a street car (NOT a trolley) and tried REALLY, REALLY, REALLY delicious food...and drinks. We even fell upon a Halloween parade with floats. Big ones (I'm still talking about the floats here.)



Since I captured the trip in pictures, I thought I'd share it 
that way on the blog as well. 








A GINORMOUS thanks to the ODNT Entourage


Another HUGE thanks to Nana, Grandpa and Dede 
for spending time here in West Virginia with the kids. 

And finally, cheers to new adventures, family and friends.







4 comments:

  1. Loved it. You guys were great guests. Where are we eating tonight? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe...very nice. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you two could be sisters. I've always wanted to see New Orleans. Hopefully someday I'll get that chance like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad you and Chris could sneak away to enjoy a weekend with Michele in New Orleans. Thanks for sharing some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am officially jealous. I have always wanted to visit NOLA and plan to once our lives calm down a little bit. A BIG KID getaway sounds just right and goodness knows you had some fantastic tour guides. So glad you were able to go and experience that, your smile tells me how amazing it was.

    ReplyDelete