Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Nightmare Before Christmas Decorations

Me: "Please. Can we not this year?"
Chris: "Sorry. You know the rule. My grandma made them. They go up no matter what."
Me: "But they freak me out."
Chris: "Sorry. Rules are rules."
Me: "Who makes up these rules?"
Chris: "Santa."

You know you have some. Don't lie...or try to hide them.  That's right, I'm talking to you. Yes, YOU! The one with the "I'm the Grinch Who Stole Christmas" shirt and both hands behind your back. I can tell you're hiding them. It's 'The Nightmare Before Christmas decoration'. Are you familiar with this Halloween AND Christmas movie classic? If you aren't, no worries. It is just like it sounds. 

So, I'm asking you to share, because I know I'm not alone. We all have one, two or (shudder) three of them. They are the decorations that have served their time in Christmases past and induce nostalgia on sight. They are the ones that look like they were made by goopy, grotesque goblins rather than effervescent, elated elves. 

Feel free to post them on my Facebook page or do a post of your own. These poor, decrepit decorations deserve one more hurrah. I'll start.

On the count of three. Ready?  
One...two...two and a half...two and three quarters....

THREE! 


13 comments:

  1. You know not of what you speak. These things are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am particularly fond of the green yard bursting from the left one's forehead like it is an alien brain snake. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That detail DOES make all the difference.

      Delete
  3. Holy cra....I mean, what lovely, not scary at all, snowmen those are. (They spend the night in a securely shut closet while you sleep right?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are awesome and since they were made by your Grandma are very special. Chris, behave yourself and be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them. Even though they look like they're about to rob a bank. In the 40s. Which makes sense because it's probably when they were made.

    P.S. The one on the right is clearly the brains of the operation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh - those are a little creepy! In the words of my Miles (7yo) "They look like they're staring through my soul!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!!! I very rarely actually laugh out loud - but that was really hilarious!!! You are a good person for hanging those bad boys....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two make me snort!!! They certainly are an interesting pair. I can't think of any ornaments of my own that are that ummm hmmm that are that ummm so thoughtfully homemade?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Those have definitely stood the test of time! :D I don't think we've had enough years to get any of those but I totally get why they have to stay...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just literally laughed out loud and woke up the snoring man. The one on the left reminds me of someone and I just can't put my finger on it.
    I do have the matching hat hanging on my tree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mel.

    I don't know if you do any awards or not, but I have nominated you for Dragon Loyalty Award. You don't have to do it, if you don't want to. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    http://gotmeghan.wordpress.com/2013/12/21/dragons-loyalty-award/

    ReplyDelete