Thursday, January 2, 2014

Fly Baby Bird, Fly

Tuck: "Mama, I'm all packed."
Me: "Remember the sleepover isn't until tomorrow, bud?"
Tuck: "I know…but a Cub Scout is always prepared."
Me: "Good point. Carry on, then."

We just dropped Tuck at his first sleep over tonight. I was torn. I was so happy for him, but a little hesitant at the same time. Why didn't any of those millions of baby books I read in preparation for our first born (and used as coasters for our second born) never mention how hard it was going to be to let our baby bird fly? I mean, I put him on the bus for kindergarten for crying out loud. Shouldn't that buy me some flying time at least until he starts driving? Don't even say the c-o-l-l-e-g-e word. Shhh. 

My husband, being a helpful, supportive kinda guy, came into the kitchen before dinner and played me the song below. This song has been part of our car sing-a-longs and kitchen dance parties for as long as I can remember. It's called "Sleepoverland" by Justin Roberts. (Check him out, his songs will hook you immediately.) Needless to say, we both ended up a little teary eyed once it played. Listen to the lyrics and you'll know what I mean. 




So far, I've received a few texts and pictures of how well the boys are doing. I'm appreciative that the mom at the sleepover has taken the initiative to text me so that I don't have to look like the paranoid, overbearing mother. I miss him tonight, for that there is no doubt. But no where near as much as his little sister. (Well, maybe as much as her…if not more.) 

Here's to a great first sleepover, Tuck! 


"Hello? Hello? Hello? We really miss you. 
Hello? Hello? Hello? We want to kiss you."

2 comments:

  1. I bet he'll be as happy to see you when he gets back as you are to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So? Did he make it all night? Did he? DID HE?

    P.S. Don't sweat it too much. He's not taking flight just yet. He's just straightening his legs to stand and peek over the side of the nest to see what's out there.

    ReplyDelete