Friday, January 10, 2014

FROM THE HEART

Me: "Hey, guys! I have an idea for a Christmas present for Meme and Papa. I need your help."
Tuck: "Sure, Mama. What do you need? Wood? Nails? Wipes?" 
Mags: "A sledgehammer?"
Me: "No, no, no and DEFINITELY no. I need your toys."
Mags: "WHAT? WHY?"
Tuck: "Huh? We're sending Meme and Papa our toys?"
Mags: "You better think of another idea, Mama."

Sigh. When they finally let me finish my thought, they were on board. I wanted to make my parents a letter art collage.  You know what I'm talking about? They are all the rage right now. See …



I originally wanted to hunt down some cool pictures from Boston that would spell out a word that was meaningful to my parents. I was thinking of  "Tuck and Mags" or "Family" or "Love." But, as I searched, nothing jumped out at me. I wanted these letters to have real sentiment behind them. Basically, I wanted the word to tell a story. 

That's what led me to my choices of the words "Meme" and "Papa." I thought about all the things the kids do with my parents when they come to visit. Mags and my mom share an obsession for lip gloss, for example. Tuck and my dad often spend hours on the floor building the latest and greatest Lego set they found. It's these objects that hold true meaning … of time spent and memories made. I was excited to get it together. More so, I was anxious to see what toys or mementos the kids would choose. They didn't disappoint.

Mags chose her Ariel and Rapunzel dolls with their villains, lip glosses (of course), a letter of her name that my mom bought when Mags' was born, and her big Pink bear my dad bought when he found out we were having a girl. And the finishing touches … her Silkies (complete with Ebola). 




Tuck chose his bear, Ben, that my dad bought when he was born. Surrounding Ben's head are Tuck's socks (comfort items).  Next were his cars from the movie Cars. Papa could recite that movie in his sleep after watching it with Tuck about 20 times. Legos (no brainer) came next. And last, but not least were the superheros. (Hulk is Papa's favorite.)




I was touched at what they gathered. We snapped, re-sized, printed and framed the pictures. I got a little misty eyed at the finished products. These objects formed the letters that made these very significant words. But beyond that … within these words and letters … my kids' created their lifetime of memories with two very special people. 


And that, my friends, is a story worth telling. 



2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful idea. So you know I am totally stealing it! Oh you are just so thoughtful and to have your kids help with it. They will never forget it! I can only imagine the reaction your parents had! So incredibly thoughtful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet...and you told the story of the story beautifully. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I have something in my eye.

    ReplyDelete