Tuesday, January 21, 2014

GIMME SHELTER

Guess where Michele and I were invited to go a few weeks ago? The screening of the much anticipated movie, "Gimme Shelter" that will be released into theaters this week. Based on a true story of strength and survival, these star- studded cast members had their work cut out for them. Yes, I used the word "star-studded." James Earl Jones, Brendan Fraser, Rosario Dawson and Vanessa Hudgens to name of a few of the talented actors that graced the screen. Written and directed by Ronald Krauss, an award winning director, this movie captured me from the very beginning. Vanessa Hudgens, best known by me as the sweet girl in High School Musical, was unrecognizable both physically and characteristically.

So, after watching the trailer and reading the positive buzz about the movie,  I was looking forward to going to see it in Washington DC, which is about an hour and a half from me. But Fate and Mother Nature had other plans. A miscommunication and treacherous ice storm later, there was no way I was able to go. Our friends at Grace Hill Media sprung into action and I was sent a secure link so I could watch it from home. Michele had already seen it earlier that day from her home in NOLA and I was DYING to talk to her about it.

I popped some popcorn, grabbed a beverage and sat down with my laptop to start the movie with a two-hour run time from the opening scene to the credits. I was hooked. This powerful story made me cry multiple time, which made me partially grateful I wasn't in a theater full of strangers. I found that I really connected with the characters. I also found a few times that I wanted to jump through the screen to smack a few of the characters upside their heads. Long and short of it…I was all in start to finish. At the end of the movie, I immediately Googled the woman who inspired Ronald Krauss to write this story, Kathy DiFiore. She is a woman of pure endurance and all heart. Her work is admirable and unmistakeably selfless. 

Below you can find the trailer. Once you see it, make a plan to go see the movie. Believe me, you will not be disappointed. 


1 comment:

  1. What you said about Kathy DiFiore … you're so right. She's an amazing woman. What an incredible turnaround she effected in her own life. The very definition of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete