Sunday, January 19, 2014

HURT FEELINGS…WELL…HURT

Chris' Facebook update: 

"Maggie came home sad today. Some kids at school made fun of her shirt saying it looked like a boy's shirt. I asked her if she thought it was cool. She nodded and I told her that was all that mattered."



As I was waiting at the stop light on my way home from work, I read this update on Facebook. My heart dropped. I couldn't get home fast enough. I wanted to wrap Mags in my arms and protect her from feeling insecure.  Her confidence is one of the MANY things I admire about our little spitfire. She has always been tough. Very little shakes her. 

Little did my munchkin know, I had a day similar to hers. I was made to feel bad about a decision I had made. My feelings were hurt. However, I, unlike Mags, have never hid my feelings well. I should just have a sign on my head that reads "DEFEATED."   

I ran through things in my head to tell her that would help to ease the sting. Chris, being sensitive to her needs, already had made a huge dent in perking her back up a bit. We've always tried to teach the kids that everybody is learning, some people choose different ways to communicate and sometimes people say things that hurt. Unfortunately, we all have been givers and receivers in those instances. 

Once I arrived home, I leaped up the stairs to scoop up my little woman. Her eyes told it all, but so did mine. We shared our stories with each other. Mags told me how her friends had come to her defense when they saw her crying, how they had made her laugh and how that laughter made a booger bubble come out of her nose. I told Mags that I also had friends come to my defense that made me laugh, but I DID NOT have a booger bubble come out of my nose…thankfully. 

I want to foster her pizazz. I want to foster her individuality. But, even more importantly, I NEED to model that confidence I want her to hold onto tightly. 

As a sweet friend of mine reminded me today


12 comments:

  1. Her t-shirt rocks.
    As does her whole family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Guap. Mean people…well…suck. :)

      Delete
  2. I personally love her t-shirt, it's super cool just like the little girl wearing it. From what I have read over the couple+ years I have been on Twitter, I think you and Chris have really got this parenting thing down pat. Your super cool parents, don't ever change. P.S. Tuck is also super cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her t-shirt is great and so is she. You two are great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that t-shirts and she's adorable.

    Give her a hug for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to Mags, the old school Joker is the way to go. I will note that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's truly one the strongest, coolest, more charismatic little people I know. Those other kids must be dorks.

    (Yeah. I guess that wasn't really constructive, was it?)

    XOXO Rock on, Mags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being there for both of us, friend! We know you've got our backs. Bring Milo…he will be useful. :)

      Delete