Saturday, January 11, 2014

There and Back Again: A Blogger's Tale

As I was visiting Michele over at ODNT, the subject of her post really caught my attention. It was a writing prompt that came from MamaKat, so I thought I would give it a try, too. 


Here it is: “Find a photo of yourself taken 10 years ago and display it on your blog along with a current photo. How have you changed since the day that photo was taken?”



The photo on the left was taken at my bridal shower. I was a blissful bride-to-be, teaching the sweetest class of kids (second graders) I ever had.  I was confident in my job, certain of my near future and loving my life. My hair was cut every six weeks, professionally highlighted and I wore clothes that were Dry Clean Only. I was spontaneous, rarely watched the clock and drank my coffee hot. 

The photo on the right was taken this summer. I was a bundle-of-nerves-mom-of-a-soon-to-be kindergartner and third grader. I had just landed my first full-time job as a high school special education teacher after being out of the classroom for eight years. My hair hadn't been cut in six months, my laugh lines were deep as canyons and I wore clothes straight out of the dryer (and still partially damp).  The three most incredible people I'm honored to call mine surround me in this picture. My clock is run by school, work, dance classes, Cub Scouts, and piano lessons. I live for Friday family movie night.  Hot coffee is overrated. 

What about you? How have you changed in 10 years? 

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, you haven't changed physically at all. Same positive aura, same bright smile. I mean … yes, your schedule has changed. You're living for four now. But it's made you a stronger person … able to spin ten plates at a time while singing the National Anthem with a sparkler in your teeth. Can you imagine the first "Mel" trying to do that? You've replaced "highlights" and "hot coffee" with "Tuck" and Mags?" I think you traded up.

    Great post. Glad you did it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantastic pair of pics.
    And you look even more stunning surrounded by your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how happy you look in BOTH photos. Just goes to show there are all types of living that can be fulfilling and wonderful. Hot coffee or not. So glad you played along this week!

    ReplyDelete