Thursday, June 19, 2014

A MIGRAINE SCRAMBLER

Mags: "Oh, Mama. You don't look so good. You gonna puke? Cause if you are, go stand over there far away from me. I'll yell to you, 'It's okay, Mama. You got this.'"

I woke up on Monday morning and blinked the sleep out of my eyes. Then, I blinked again. Things weren't clear. And I all at once, panic filled my head. It began to spin. I dove out of bed, flew down the stairs and ripped through the brown moving box I used to pack up our medicine cabinet. Within a few moments, my hand felt the little cardboard packet that held the magic pill.  Every second that passed brought more spots into my vision. Before I knew it, the peripheral view in my left eye was gone. A warm tingle filled my left eye brow...and then the pain released its fury.  It was 5:30 and I had to be at my high school for the graduation at 7:30. Two hours. That was plenty of time to take the medicine and have it kick my vision back into place. I could deal with the pain. But no vision meant no...well...anything. I couldn't have that. 

Chris knows me all too well and asked what he could do as soon as I came back into the room. I told him I just needed to sleep it off for a little bit and to wake me at a certain time. I shut myself in our closet with a pillow and my new sidekick, Flaxie Pack. (Seriously, check these out! My friend's family makes them.)

Once Chris came in to let me know it was time, I gingerly emerged from my pitch dark lair. I knew what I'd have to do in order to make it work. I would have to keep my eyes (or at least one of them) shut while I got ready. That would buy me some time. Plus, I knew the hot blow dryer would feel good on my head.

There was no time to lose. I finished my half-hearted primping and moved along to tackle the next hurdle of getting there. It all worked out and the migraine subsided somewhere toward the end of the graduation ceremony. When I arrived home that evening, I went into our bathroom to brush my teeth. I surveyed the damage from the morning. Then, I released a hearty laugh. 


I honestly DON'T remember using the FIVE following things in this picture:

1. The Curling Brush. I can't imagine it would feel good. 
2. The Flat Iron. Seriously? I can't believe I still have fingerprints.
3. The Hairspray. Where did that come from? I have never seen it before in my life. 
4. The Tissues. I definitely needed those after seeing the make-up job I did in natural light.
5. The Razor. Oh. Dear. Lord. I'm afraid to look. 

June is Blog Post by Numbers Month. Wanna play with Michele and me? Just write a "listy-type" post with a number in the title (ex. FOUR Reasons I Love MayonnaiseSIX Things You Can Do With A Paper Clip). Then link back to us and tweet us about it so we can include you on June 30th in our final list: (Number-Yet-To-Be-Determined) Great Bloggers Who Played the Blog Post by Numbers Game!




4 comments:

  1. Oh man. You did so well to even get out of the house. You're a trooper, for sure. I LOVE this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you circumvented the migraine!

    If Chris reads this post, I bet next time, he'll stage something truly bizarre on the counter, then ask you what happened.

    hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I already commented on this one. Why doesn't it show up? Oh, wait. It's because I did it from my phone. MY STUPID, MOTHER --- (deafening sound of beating phone against table repeatedly), SON OF A --- (piercing screams cries of phone, begging for mercy), SUCKY PIECE OF (quiet whimper of phone taking last breath).

    (Returning to computer smiling, with phone "blood" all over hands and face) I'm so sorry to hear about your migraine, Mel. I hope you're feeling better these days. :(

    ReplyDelete