Tuesday, February 17, 2015

AN UNTOUCHED LIFE

VickyI love that you posted a photo of a real happy girl in a real room with real mess! More rocking Mums like you need to show that life is not "picture ready" so other Mum's can feel normal. Iyou!



I walked by Mags' room the other day and caught her bee-bopping around it.  I couldn't let the moment pass, so I grabbed my phone and shot this quick picture. The joy on her face was so pure. Naturally, I wanted to share it for our extended family to see. So, I got on Facebook, pulled up the picture on my phone, submitted it to the post and then...clicked CANCEL. Once I really looked beyond that precious expression, I panicked.  This thought process followed:

"Her room looks like a disaster! What will people think? I can't post this. People will think we're slobs."

And then her expression caught my eye again. That sparkle in her eye overrode any of my rationale. I threw caution to the wind, went to Instagram, applied some filters, which only seemed to accentuate the mess,  and clicked SHARE. I don't post reality-in-picture-form enough. 

I crop pictures like crazy. If I need a posed shot, I move the kids to a clutter-free space in the house. But every once in a while, reality needs to shine through. Too often I post my seemingly clutter-less life...when in reality...there's a 2x2 "backdrop" (if I'm lucky) in our house that doesn't have a counter littered with the week's worth of school papers or a sink with a mountain of two (or three-day-old) dishes in it. I don't know about you, but Barbie and Optimus Prime often take up residence in crevices and corners that ruin a seemingly perfect picture. Photo bombers...in the worst way possible.

There's a beauty in reality. It brings about camaraderie.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Hey, if Cindy Crawford can post untouched photos, then so can I. (Ummm..I mean my house untouched...not me in a feather coat and lingerie.) But go on with your bad self, Ms. Crawford. 

And welcome to all my little, future photo bombers!  

We've been Mags bombed! Me and @olddognewtits.
Photo credit: ODNT Jr. 



3 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one who has a bedroom in their house that looks like this. I'm beyond caring as long as my little guy is happy. We muck it out at least once or twice a week. After I get tired of stepping on ninja turtles and blocks and cars and .... Just LOVE her precious face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about the mess when your kid is that happy. People with kids of their own will understand the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, your chocolate to her cheese! Nice to see our two lovely, former, Ketchup ladies back together. And Mags...what do you say about her...only that she is the most precious and energetic little person who exudes so much happiness in her pinky finger alone! I'm sure everyone was looking at that happy face and not the disaster behind it.
    Mags mess looks so very minor to the hurricane Em can create in the matter of 30 seconds, which usually creeps out of her room and into the living room. I've sat on so many Barbies and Princess Dolls (with their pointy appendages faced upwards) that I've lost count.

    ReplyDelete